>

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Drug-induced suicidal ideation

Philip Dawdy just wrote a post: "How I Got Off-Meds" which is a must-read. Among many issues he raises the suicidal ideation promoted by some psychiatric drugs.
I had drug-induced suicidal ideation while tapering off Effexor.
This is the comment I left on FS explaining the differences of real suicidal ideation and chemical suicidal ideation:

" One thing I should mention is that after years of bouts of suicidal ideation--largely driven by anti-depressants in my opinion--I hadn't had a suicidal image in my head for about a year. "
Philip Dawdy

I had drug-induced suicidal ideation during the 19 months I was tapering Effexor.
I had 4 terrible episodes of this withdrawal symptom.
I can clearly see that it was drug-induced and fortunately I had read that during withdrawal this symptom can appear. Thank you Charles Medawar, David Healy and others for describing this.
For no reason I felt suicidal ideation.
My life was fine but, for no reason, I started "wanting" to kill myself.
During the suicidal ideation time in the back of my mind there was a warning:
"-This is withdrawal, this is withdrawal, this is withdrawal..."
When I was a teenager I had so many problems with my family that sometimes I thought about killing myself.
I knew I was not going to do that but I've spend sometimes thinking about how could I kill myself after sleeping.
I slept and in the next morning I was happy going to school and not even remembered that I thought about dying.
But by the time I was feeling the drug-induced there was no reason. No reason whatsoever!
Just the feeling that "-I'm going to kill myself!"
look at the difference:

"-I'm going to kill myself!"
and
"-I'm wanting to kill myself!"

I also felt a tiny little urge to burn my skin with the cigarette. I never felt it in my entire life. Not even for a second.
Didn't do it and by the time I was feeling it I thought about this idea and I remember asking myself "-Where does it come from?" I felt very strange for I knew I didn't WANT to burn myself.

I'm writing it because it's a very important, complex and subjective issue and I hope that this questions are raised by the mainstream media.
Can you please do it my dear mainstream journalist? It can happens to you or some of your acquaintances and I hope it never happens to a family member who has a gun on the hand.
I'm not sure if I had a gun I would be here.


You can publish it now Philip!
:)
Now I'm in total control of my emotions and wrote it with objectiveness.
That time was an outburst and I've remembered everything as if it was happening and cried a lot.
And you were ethic and kind enough not to publish it.
Thank you once again!

Congratulations Philip! Out off meds for 1 one year!

No comments: